E-mail Print PDF

Types of Accommodation

1. Halls of Residence
You will live in a study bedroom, sharing bathrooms and other facilities. Breakfast and evening
meals are often provided, but self-catering halls can also be found where students buy and prepare
their own food
2. Independent Halls and Hostels
Hostels are usually owned by charitable organisations. As well as providing accommodation they
offer a homely environment, often with social opportunities and events. Like halls of residence,
sometimes meals are provided, or there may be cooking facilities. Hostels are very popular and
have long waiting lists, so apply with plenty of time.
3. Private Accommodation
This is when you rent from a private landlo rd/landlady. You will need to arrange this once you are in
London, so make sure that at least you have a temporary room booked in a hostel or hotel for when
you arrive.
You will need to accept that it is very difficult to find affordable accommodation in the central zones
of London. Normally students in private accommodation will need to live some distance from the
School and travel every day.
Private accommodation options:
? A room in a private home, sharing facilities with the other residents.
? A bedsit: a single room in which you live and sleep, usually with limited cooking facilities and
shared bathroom.
? A studio flat is a single room with self-contained kitchen and bathroom.
One of the cheapest ways of living is to share a flat or house with friends or colleagues from the
School. Rent, bills and cleaning can all then be shared.
When arranging long-term accommodation you will usually sign an agreement with your
landlord/landlady. When you sign, you will need to pay a deposit, which is returned to you when you
leave. However, if you cause damage to the house, or leave without giving the required notice, the
landlord may have the right to keep your deposit.
It is important therefore not to sign any contract or agreement you do not understand. Read all
documents carefully before you sign them and keep copies. Always ask for a receipt for each
payment. Free advice about your legal rights can be found at your local Citizens Advice Bureau